Saturday, September 20, 2008

I'm back ...

I'm back online and have power as of Thursday. Life was interesting as we are truly dependent on electricity in our everyday lives. It was interesting interacting with people this week. The first question everyone asked was 'Do you have power?' Depending on the answer you knew what to say next!

I think those that had power the entire time just didn't have the proper amount of sympathy for those of us that didn't! HA HA!! or at least that is what I told the two guys in my department that had power and me having to carry in my makeup and hair dryer to get ready for work each day! But I know it could have been a lot worse and it was a good reminder to be thankful for what we have.

Every night after work my sole purpose was to find food and ice. Not an easy thing the first couple of days but by Tuesday most grocery stores were reopened. Not all had electricity but those that didn't, had generators. There was no fresh produce, dairy or frozen food available in a lot of the stores.

My goal this morning was to find milk and a few other staples. I'm happy to report I got the basics but still saw a lot of empty shelves. I can't even imagine how much food was thrown away this week.

But for now life is getting back to normal for a lot of us ... but 80,000 homes still without power and I feel their frustration!

********************************
Follow this link to see the final report on the 65 pair of socks story! Heart warming seeing the power of the internet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Karen, I didn't even think about the waste from grocery stores! That's probably a few million dollars along Ike's path, right there. Wow. I'm so glad everything is getting back to normal for you. When you don't have to take that hairdryer out of the bathroom next week, I know you're going to be thinking how lucky you are!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm glad you have your electricity back - ours was only out for a few hours, and I really missed it. I can't imagine having to do without for days!